Thursday, February 9, 2017

Baby you can drive my car...


Yes! It is about time. Self driving cars. We are officially living in the future. Actually I don't think that that is how it works but still.

When I've talked to people about self driving cars they often wonder how we will account for the possibility of a self driving car killing someone in an accident. Given that 90 percent of the 1.2 million people killed each year by cars is down to human error I say give the machines the wheel. It won't be tired, angry, drunk, texting their boyfriend, screaming at the kids or just a bit of a shit driver. If you have ever got in a taxi cab in Paris you will be on my side, Jésus! And I bet you that they can do a Melbourne hook turn without crying. Google that one international friends.

I never learnt to drive so when Uber came along I was super happy although it is still getting in cars with strangers and I think that was a lesson at primary school that went along the lines of DANGER! something something... Imagine my joy at the thought of a self drive Uber without the awkward conversation and the terrible music.

Apart from my own personal gain as previously established, it opens up a world without parking buildings- your car can go and deliver people and goods while you work and come back and pick you up later. Or make money while you sleep. All good things. There are so many people who are unable to physically manage driving that will have a world of mobility open up to them.

I'm also pretty sure if you ask cyclists whether they think that a self driving car with cameras, ultrasonic sensors, radars AND freaking lasers will say "duh, I didn't see you" as they nearly kill you at an intersection. No, those cyclists will be betting heavily on software.

Exciting times that probably won't end in the machines taking over and using us as a battery pack. Probably.


No comments:

Post a Comment